Saturday 31 March 2007

Bombay Dreams & Mumbai Screams - Part I

'Bombay' was a word that somehow had earlier got stuck in my mind like a week-old chewing gum that passes through piles of dust and garbage on the footpath before it finally meets your shoe... and kinda, sticks like glue (hey, it rhymed)!

Anyway, as a collegian, Bombay was like the ultimate destination where all my sane and insane paths wanted to lead me. Wanted to write and do creative stuff and what better place to do that than Bombay.

And finally, I even landed there. As a copy editor with DNA newspaper. However, it was supposedly for a short period (two months). Actually, I was working for DNA Money's Ahmedabad edition which was yet to kick and hence me and my reporter colleague Mitul were sent on an official trip to learn and well as help the Mumbai DNA team.

Just like any whimsical boss decides a national product launch in two weeks (for which the product is yet to be identified), this decision of our trip to Bombay came all of a sudden and in just two days, I was in Mumbai. Meanwhile, Rachana, my now-wife and then-girlfriend had already drowned half of Ahmedabad with her tears.

Day 1 was exciting. Finally in Mumbai! Our accommodation was not yet finalised. This bugger Mitul had assured that we'll find "asylum" in some hostel kinda place but it never worked out. Hence we reached DNA office with four suitcases and some bags between the two of us, only to find that we've reached a "factory" of human machines, almost 200 on a floor in some 20 rows X 10 columns, all staring at us - as if we were two fully-loaded astronauts!

We spent that night in a nice 7th floor apartment (DNA's guesthouse) somewhere near Mahim. But we had to leave it in 5 days and find a place on our own. And we did it. A small (actually, tiny is the right word) room in a small house in an untidy government colony in Antop Hill (the name made us think it’s the most posh area in Bombay and we soon discovered it was a place where all the taxi-drivers of Bombay landed at night to sleep in their homes)! There were two best things about this house – 1) A cat which jumped on my bed every night from a window that couldn’t be closed and 2) a crazy old deserted woman right next to my window who yelled gaalis all day and night (those which even a guy would hesitate to utter). With these two things, Mitul’s and my sleeps in Bombay were indeed, very sound! (pun intended)

End of part I (More to come)

5 comments:

Nirali said...

Wasnt aware that the blogging bug hit you as well. Am quite interested in knowing your perspective to Mumbai.. Happy Blogging!!!

Soumitra Trivedi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Soumitra Trivedi said...

Hey ..
Good to read that piece..

Thank God that I refused point blank to shyam when he asked me to go to Mumbai..(God spared me from that cat and that Old DESERTED lady's abuses..!!)

Enjoy..

Soumitra

Mitul said...

Common Soumitra,

U refused becase u r a man with the family. Ask two of us singles (one of us then opted for what all sensible people do once they realise that roaming around with Mitul will not take them anywhere ;-) it used to be fun living like that.

I am ready to tolerate cat and deserted lady's abuse again for some more time if destiny allows me. And thankfully, i will not have to be an audience to Kapil's telephonic romance ;-0

Shardul said...

Ahaa!!! I would say...a 'Pushpak'(the movie) kinda apt you got over there! ;)...

From the writer's desk

From the writer's desk
Loss of 10,000 for 1 winner