Friday 16 March 2007

A Writer's Block

Here's an idea that I have. This is how a short story I am writing would begin...

Holding a pen in hand, sitting amidst scattered empty pages with an uncontrollable urge to put thoughts into words… here I am, wanting to write with nothing to write about…
intended to write with no pretences…
addicted to weave incomplete sentences…

It’s been about year-and-a-half now that I’ve put something on paper that’s worth reading. All my creative turbulences seem to have vanished as I find myself famished, struggling for a good idea to start my next novel. Success, they say, is short lived. And so do I believe. But what’s haunting me more now is the fact that it’s very hard to imitate your own success. My last two novels made record-breaking sales, the latter superseding the success of the former. What made them more famous was the fact that both of them were finished in just 8 months each. And here I am standing 16 months past my last novel, still waiting to crack an idea worth writing!

‘Master of instant bestsellers struggling for an idea’, sounds like a news article headline doesn’t it? It may seem flimsy but you just can’t imagine the string of problems & consequences I have begun to face. The malaise of facing a creative impotence, pressure from the publishers to deliver something soon and over a dozen phone calls a day from desperate fans complaining of not getting to read something from one of their favourite storyteller. Truly, fame brings its own consequences.

Comments please...

1 comment:

Saumil said...

Ohh I read both your bestsellers and loved 'em .... just waiting for the 3rd ... jaldi likh ...lol !

From the writer's desk

From the writer's desk
Loss of 10,000 for 1 winner